Skip to content Skip to navigation

Legal Consequences of Over Drinking

As soon as you leave the United States, you are subject to the laws of the country you are traveling to. Alcohol and other drug laws will vary depending on where you study abroad. Some countries are stricter than others when it comes to public intoxication and drug use. It is better to get to know what these laws are before you leave the country so you won't find out when it is too late. The best resources for finding out this information will be your study abroad program, the American Embassy/Consulate in your host country, and the US Department of State Travel website. Check out this site for specific information about laws for the country you will be visiting.