What are Steroids?
- Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids are manufactured substances related to the male sex hormone Testosterone
- May be prescribed by a doctor to rebuild tissues weakened by injury or disease, to assist in regaining or maintaining weight after illness, and to aid recovery from breast cancer and osteoporosis in women
- Abused in an attempt to enhance athletic performance and improve physical appearance
- Can be taken in pill form, injected, or rubbed on the skin in the form of gels or creams
The Facts About Steroids:
- Major, irreversible side effects can result from hormonal imbalances caused by steroids:
- In Men: testicular shrinking, breast development, and severe acne
- In Women: facial hair, menstrual changes, and deepened voice
- Steroids can cause psychiatric dysfunctions such as increased aggression, extreme mood swings, and depressed mood
- Long term side effects:
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Liver and kidney damage
- Possession of illegally obtained steroids carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.