Cardinal Nights is back this quarter with virtual programming! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and see our weekly events.
Connect with us on social media for contests + up-to-date info: Instagram + Facebook
We're also curating links from around the Web to keep you happy and connected. Find all the *resources below:
I want to “travel”:
I want to work on myself:
- LinkedIn Learning is free for all Stanford emails! Explore hundreds of topics in design, photography, programming, data analysis, and marketing.
- Coursera has lots of free online classes.
- Brit and Co. is offering all classes for free, through 3/31! and enter code SELFCARE at checkout. Take a class on watercolor, cake decorating, calligraphy, or how to become an Instagram star!
- Adobe is offering 2 months Creative Cloud for free. Simply log in to the creative cloud website, click on cancel your plan and the last page will be a free 60-day offer. You will then receive a credit for two months. (Billing continues like normal after 60 days, so remember to remove your info.)
- For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
- Check out Headspace's curated collection of COVID-specific mental health resources.
- The Calm app has meditations and visualizations.
- The American Museum of Natural History has some fun courses on museum topics like "The Science of Stem Cells" through Coursera. Their YouTube channel also has interesting short videos on a variety of topics, perfect for college students and little ones, too!
- Babbel is offering free classes through mid-June if you're looking to learn a new language.
- Check out some of these cooking demos and improve your quarantine meals!
- Use the Libby by Overdrive mobile app to get an instant library card and access thousands of free ebooks and audiobooks.
- Want to come together with people from around the world to work on projects in the arts, writing, and other creative fields? With Span, it will be easy to start your own collaboration by submitting a project idea ― other users can then sign up to join a team for your idea. Find more info on this Stanford student-led venture here and sign up here.
- Stay tuned: BTS is launching a series in cooperation with professors to teach you Korean!
- Learn about the science of well-being with Yale for free on Coursera.
- The U.S Department of Veteran Affairs has developed a free app, COVID Coach, for increasing resilience during the COVID pandemic.
I want to maintain my recovery:
I want to work it out:
- Yoga with Adrienne is a great source for all kinds of yoga practice on YouTube.
- The Tone It Up app is free through April 1.
- Fitness Blender has a huge library of workout vids.
- Planet Fitness is live-streaming free workouts every day on their Facebook page.
- Down Dog, the yoga app, is free for anyone with a .edu email address until July 1st.
- Daily Burn is offering a free 60-day trial and has hundreds of workout videos.
- Box Union Studio, a boxing studio, is livestreaming 2 workouts a day on their Instagram.
- Peloton has extended its free trial to 90 days, with a mix of running, strength, toning, cycling, yoga, meditation and outdoor workouts.
- Studio Three in Chicago is offering free live workouts on their Instagram.
- CorePower Yoga has made some of their online offerings free for those looking to keep up their yoga practice.
- OrangeTheory is posting a new 30-minute workout each day on their Youtube channel.
- Barry's Bootcamp have been releasing at-home workouts on their Instagram.
- Pure Barre is also livestreaming barre classes.
- RX Bar has you covered with a wide variety of workouts.
- Make sure you're following Stanford Rec for links to free workouts via Zoom and more.
- Alo Yoga has a huge archive of workout videos, with everything from core work to yoga flows. Working out with kids? There's an entire kids section too!
- Equinox Hotels have guided meditation and mindfulness videos on their Youtube.
- Get MLS-inspired workout routines free for 90 days with the Adidas app.
I want some escapism:
- Georgia Aquarium has live webcam feeds of most of their exhibits, like this Beluga webcam and this sea otter webcam.
- The Atlanta Zoo also has a Panda Cam!
- The Netflix Party app lets you watch Netflix with friends from a distance.
- The Actors Fund is hosting miniature Broadway shows every day at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. ET with stars like Kristin Chenoweth, Patrick Wilson, and Audra McDonald via its YouTube page.
- The Metropolitan Opera has operas streaming nightly.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems! Join Kennedy Center Education Artist-in-Residence at Home for a live daily doodle lesson. New episodes will be posted each weekday at 1:00 p.m. ET and videos will be available after live on the Kennedy Center YouTube channel.
- Play 800+ board games online for free at Tabletopia.
- Find livestreamed performances here.
- Dolly Parton will be reading bedtime stories every week on YouTube starting on Thursday at 4 pm PST.
- Soak up the live jellyfish cam from the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Stanford Live has gone fully online.
- Dance and sing with the whole family to 20-minute programs of music and more with livestreams of Live from The Playroom, every Monday through Friday at 3PM ET.
- Dive into the world of Harry Potter at home!
- Try Quarantine Chat if you want to chat with someone else physically distanced.
- Ride all your favorite Disneyland rides with these YouTube compilations.
- The Stanford Online Slack community is going strong! Join here to connect, meet new people, and access campus resources in this fully student-led portal.
- The Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary has been livestreaming their "gathering room" (basically the nap room for all the doggies) ever day.
- This brown bear cam is majestic AF.
- The Clinic for Rehabilitation of Wildlife has an otter cam, a raccoon cam, a pelican cam, and a number of others including one for Billy, the Nine-banded Armadillo
- This homemade "bubble cam" lets you push a button and control a bubble machine in this family's backyard in Florida. This made me irrationally happy.
- Read comics online for free.
- This couple sails around the world full-time and updates in real time.
I want to connect:
- Tokyo Pride 2020 has gone fully online! Get involved here.
- Consider submitting your work to Stanford Planted Trees, a journal collective.
- Join DeeSoul, Co-Director of Stanford Spoken Word Collective, every Friday for a virtual open mic and some awesome feature artists.
*We are offering these resources during this extremely stressful and unprecedented time to support students where they are at right now. By sharing these suggestions, we are not endorsing any brand or business practice, but just trying to be helpful :)